As a mother of three cats, I am always concerned about giving them the best quality food available. The first food tin i bought for my cats was a wet cat food, and later on for many years, I observed that my cats always prefer wet cat food over the dry.
Wet cat food comes in many forms including meat chunks with gravy, fish slices, minced meat and much much more. Which ever type of wet food you opt for your cat, it must meet the requirements I have mentioned in below section.
Generally speaking a good cat food must contain vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, fish oils and salts. However, as cats needs vary from those of humans’, it would be difficult to provide a satisfactorily complete answer.
Cat’s nutrient requirements depend on their age and activity level as well as their environment and how often they eat: fat cats need less than thin ones, despite what we might expect; an indoor-only cat should have more than a house cat who goes outside for hunting; older cats need more; an outdoor cat that lives exclusively on mice will require different nutrients than one that eats canned food or goes into the house to scavenge for table scraps.
Whatever your particular needs are (or if you’re not sure what they are), we have listed below only the checklist of most vital nutrients you should check before buying cat food.
Which wet cat food is considered good
A good wet cat food should be good in smell or aroma because cat won’t eat any thing unless it smells appealing to them. For an average healthy cat a good cat food is that, whose ingredients contain following food items.
- Protein sources (Chicken or Turkey)- It is considered good for healthy bones and teeth of your cat. Also helps your cat to loose weight.
- Chicken Liver- It is considered good for heart functions of your cat.
- Potassium- It is good for kidneys and heart of your cat. Also helpful if your cat has lost her appetite.
- Sodium- Minor quantity of sodium promotes body growth.
- Fish Oil- A good wet cat food must contain fish oils, as it is not only good for their skin but also save them for allergies and highly beneficial for their kidneys.
- Calcium- A good wet cat food must contain some quantity of calcium as calcium deficiency causes weakness, and muscle stiffness in cats.
- Magnesium- Magnesium is also a vital ingredient of good cat food because lack of this salt causes muscle shivering, depression and body pain in cats.
- Vitamin E- A good cat food is also rich in Vitamin E, as it prevents skin diseases and promotes good skin in cats. Also helpful in speedy heeling of wounds in cats.
- Vitamin B-12- you should also check that your cat food contain Vitamin B12, because it is good for immune system, nervous system, and digestive system of your cat.
- Zinc- Small amounts of zinc in wet cat food is helpful to improve immune system of cats. It is also helpful if your cat has stopped eating any thing due to stomach disorder.
- Folic Acid- A good wet cat food must also contains folic acid as it increases oxygen level in their blood. If your cat is too dump and sleep, it is a sign of folic acid deficiency.
- Corn starch- It is easily digestible for both cats and dogs and help promote bladder health in cats.